~A Veteran~

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of "Up to and including my life". That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. - Author Unknown

Monday, September 24, 2007

Wives & Hierarchy

The day has ended with a lesson in military wives and the levels of hierarchy. Although I thought perhaps this system was not relevant within our unit I am seeing more on a daily basis that it is. At first I dismissed it, the little signs really; excusing the constant reminders from other wives that somehow their husbands were "better" because of rank. However in light of the lessons learned this evening, it is not possible to dismiss the subtle hints any longer. Once again the lesson has a duality of hierarchy and betrayal. One would think I would learn my lessons sooner, and alienate myself from the constant turmoil and upheaval of emotions associated with it. Eventually I hear my husbands sweet voice not whispering in my thoughts, but stomping through them instead repeating to me to stop trusting others, change my thinking patterns, and above all remove myself from situations where I may be tempted even slightly to trust another Army wife. I keep saying that "this is it, no more, I am through"; and then the temptation presents itself again, and I once again ignore the signs my husband tries so desperately to remind me of.
This evening I had the distinct non-pleasure of listening to a ranting wife explain repeatedly how she just so happen to be the wife of a leader. Within this conversation she stated she would appreciate it if I didn't give any information to others until it was confirmed, double checked, given out to the "higher" ends, and let it finally trickle down the line.
It made me realize that old tangent that rank has it's privileges, and one should not step on the toes of the hierarchy by knowing information prior to those in "position". The privileges of rank means the upper echelon of wives want the ego boost that they are privy to vital or mundane information before the lower classes. They want to hold onto it, caress it, absorb it, smell it and taste it, until they ooze the stench of it. At that point, after it has been exhausted, they want to deliver said information to all of the bottom feeders at their leisure.
Is there an Officer's Wives School of Pompousness one must attend prior to becoming an upper echelon? It seems that they are all taught virtually the same degree of arrogance. Never refer to them as Mrs So-n-So, but instead always as Mrs (insert Rank) So-n-So.
It happens among the lower ranks as well. A soldier can have just as many years in service, called Time and Grade, as another. Usually soldiers are promoted parallel to each other. However due to circumstances beyond their control, there are instances where one soldier can be promoted while the other one waits to have files, awards, school, and other issues resolved because of human/administrative error. This same administration can also withhold promotion out of spite as well. Interesting to note though, the views, attitudes, and mannerisms of the wife who's husband is promoted changes quite rapidly.
I have been noticing this as well too. It's just one rank higher, but when you slap the title of Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) on the lapel, attitudes adjust, arrogance emerges. No longer are you equals, no longer are you pals, and by all means you will be continually reminded that so-n-so's husband is now an "X" rank, thus he doesn't conform to the lower class of soldiers. Rank now has it's privileges.
This arrogance dissolves many a friendships. It is a sad day, when the one's you use to call friend, friendly waiting spouses, and equal, turn to the hierarchy group.
I call this a day of falsehood.
Welcome to the year of BOHICA.

No comments: