~A Veteran~

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of "Up to and including my life". That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. - Author Unknown

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Son's of War-To Be or Not To Be

With all of the hype lately surrounding commercials by the Democratic BHO alignment it brings up this statement:
"You know, John McCain wants to continue a war in Iraq perhaps as long as 100 years."--Sen. Barack Obama, Lancaster,PA, Town Hall meeting, March 31, 2008.

The charge that John McCain wants to wage a "100-year war" in Iraq has become a recurring theme of the Obama campaign.

McCain has never talked about wanting a 100-year war in Iraq. He has talked about a prolonged U.S. military presence in Iraq, similar to the stationing of U.S. troops in Germany after World War II or in Korea after the Korean war. Which by the way, we are STILL there, service members of our Military serve honorably overseas continually for strategic purposes to date in Germany, Korea, Italy, Japan, etc.

What McCain actually said in Derry, N.H., back in January 08', after cutting off a questioner who talked about the Bush administration's willingness to keep troops in Iraq for 50 years, was this : McCain said "Make it a hundred." He then stated that U.S. troops had been in Germany for 60 years and in Korea for 50 years, and continued, "That's fine with me as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed."

However The BHO campaign has twisted the words, and used them as ammunition sparking ad's on cable news networks, and You Tube to generate mother's to the poll's to vote for BHO and alas, SAVE THE CHILDREN---for the "Change Campaign."

I am a mother of four (4) children. Count them, 1,2,3,4. One daughter, three son's. My family comes from a long lineage of Military. ( Family Tree of War Monger! HOOAH!) My mother actually spent the greater portion of my childhood tracing our ancestry back through Europe and beyond and found a root source before she lost the written traces and had to rely on orated versions from local town people. Still, she followed the trails as far as should could.

When my daughter turned 19 years old, she decided to join the Army Reserves. It was a surprise to me, because I had never expected it from her. Quite the defiant child really, and knowing her personality I could not see her taking "orders" from highers. Regardless though, she did.
Unknown to her and the rest of us, her childhood accident with her knees would ultimately be her downfall, and she was medically discharged. She completed her basic training, graduated, and went further into her Military Occupational Specialty training when the medical staff found her knee problems.
To this day, she regrets those darn knees, and still plans on getting a specialized surgery to correct them and try it again--yes, the Army Reserves.

Do I want her to join? This is my ONLY daughter. The ONLY female child I have. Let's examine this shall we?

First of all, it is not up to me. It is not my choice. So whether I want her to or not, isn't of any relevance. Am I proud that she makes this decision not just once but twice? YES. To both questions. Am I scared for her? No. I am not scared because I know my daughter. I know that she will do her BEST, because she fails at NOTHING when she wants something bad enough. She wants to serve her country, and she WILL. Period.

This brings me to my son's. My oldest son is now 19 years old. Last year he came home and announced out of the clear blue he had been to the recruiter's office. Did I fall to the floor in agony and despair? No I did not. Some of you may say, "But this is your oldest son, your first born son!"

You would be correct. However again, my son made a decision to go see a recruiter to gather information about becoming a soldier. He talked to several recruiters from several branches of the military, and found out what the requirements were and started making his plans for the future.

This year he is still completing some of those requirements, and still figuring out his future and how things will fit for his path to the future. Joining the military is not something a person should take lightly. I have explained this to him since he was a small child. Not just military service, but LIFE in all capacities. My son is at the stage in life where some of mom's pearls of wisdom are starting to be applied. (thank you Lord!)

Will I be sad or disappointed if my son ultimately decides to join the military? No. Will I be proud of him? Yes. I would be proud of my son if he was a plumber, a Scientist, a Technician for NASA, a CEO of a Corporation, or a Soldier.

The issue the ad's FAIL to address is quite simple. We as MOTHER'S do NOT make decisions for our children. We do not CHOOSE their career's for them. We have NO SAY in who they become. We TEACH. We NURTURE. We give them the TOOLS for life and set them FREE to BECOME. We CHAMPION them in whatever they do. Because WE...are MOM'S.

The commercials say "You can't 'have' my son." Sorry, but it isn't a matter of "giving" away a child. He/she is not property dear mother, he/she is a FREE American, with choices.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We as MOTHER'S do NOT make decisions for our children. We do not CHOOSE their career's for them. We have NO SAY in who they become. We TEACH. We NURTURE. We give them the TOOLS for life and set them FREE to BECOME. We CHAMPION them in whatever they do. Because WE...are MOM'S.

AMEN!!! Thank YOU!