~A Veteran~

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of "Up to and including my life". That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. - Author Unknown

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day Through a Tri-Color Looking Glass

I am not pro-war, I am pro-military soldier. I respect, honor, reverence, and remember those who wear the uniforms that defend this country voluntarily so I do not have to.

When I hear the Pledge of Allegiance my body is still, my hand covers my heart, and my eyes look to the American flag. I am reminded of the words of Cpl Chris Mason, may he rest in peace; when he said “We choose to believe that the patch we wear on our right shoulder stands for something; that’s greater than ourselves, that’s greater than where we are from, we’re the fabric that holds the flag together.”

That fabric and those threads within the design of the American flag will always represent every American soldier who has fought for our country.

When I hear music that reflects patriotism, I sing along and choke out the words because the emotional upheaval usually invokes tears of pride, love, and remembrance of heroes and their sacrifices.

The Fourth of July, Independence Day, stands as a collective reminder of the patriotism and pains in military life.

This year I am blessed to be able to share Independence Day with my soldier. He has been home from his third deployment for 7 weeks now. Many soldiers have issues with noises associated with fireworks. My husband is not one of them. He enjoys the science of explosions and generally being a pyro as long as he is aware of what is going to happen. He is not fond of surprise explosions, like his Independence Day memories of 2005—mortar attacks, IED’s, running terrorists out of small villages, being under small arms enemy fire. Or last year when random IED’s exploded along convoy routes.

However here in America, our neighbors do not plant bombs outside our home, or threaten to behead us if we refuse to harbor enemy combatives of their holy war. Nor do our military come to our homes and rape our small female and male children, or goats, sheep, and other animals.

I haven’t had to worry about arming my children at 5 years old or teach my female child to cover herself from head to toe with clothing so she isn’t murdered for accidentally showing an elbow or neck part in the 120 degree heat.

Instead I have taught my children about choices, freedoms, liberties, rights, and what it means to be an American. I could fill a novel with the life lessons I have taught my children.

Last night in the shadow of the moon I stood outside in my small backyard garden spot tending and watering tiny Forget-Me-Not seedlings. They are the official flower of the Veterans of Foreign War.


While I watered I watched the figures in my house move-my husband busy in the kitchen wrapping up the dinner cleaning duties and my son moving around from room to room. I heard murmurs of conversation which means my son was having ice cream for dessert.

Outside a few birds rustled, crickets sang, and the occasional car passed. Our outside cat lay a few feet away sleeping on soft grass not bothered by anything.

This morning under the bright new day sunrise, the birds are singing, butterflies are enjoying the flowers, small rolly pollies are scurrying around the mulch and the world is waking up.

My phone has already rung four times; I have answered 7 emails, and checked my business website. The Vet Hut™ veterans are in full swing with the “4th with Vets” Celebration project. So far they have 62 families attending. EOD, PyroTechs, and veterans set up a safe zone for families to shoot fireworks with a BBQ buffet and potluck. This is all sponsored and supported by CCI® (my non profit) but completely orchestrated and operated voluntarily by veterans. It was their idea. I haven’t even finished a full cup of coffee yet—so it goes.

Tomorrow is a big day for our Nation. As a whole we celebrate Independence. For me personally, it is a somber reflection with an undertone of burning passion. When the smoke of the fireworks have lifted, there will still be soldiers in lands far away from home making sure I can stand quietly in my backyard under the moonlight and water my Forget-Me-Nots.

I am an American.

Bought and paid for by American soldiers who voluntarily serve this Nation.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

Many argue that George Orwell quoted that, in his Notes on Nationalism in 1945. He wrote something similar to pacifist, but not that quote.

I also like this quote from the movie “A Few Good Men”- "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Jack Nicholson
This is actually for another blog piece I am working on---so stay tuned!

Bottom line, American soldiers will KILL and DIE to ensure our Nations FREEDOM.
The VERY FREEDOM and INDEPENDENCE we celebrate on July 4th.

No comments: